Dalmore 25 Year Old – 2018 Description
- The Dalmore 25 year old forms part of The Dalmore Principal Collection and only 3000 bottles are available globally each year.
- During a quarter century of patient aging, this whisky passes through a range of cask types, creating wonderful depth and complexity of flavour. Initially matured in American white oak barrels, the whisky is then transferred for a further aging period in a combination of Palomino Fino sherry butts and first-fill Bourbon barrels. Each batch is then mixed and rested, or “married” in Bourbon barrels before being transferred into Tawny Port casks, known as “pipes”, from Portugal for a final, delicate finishing period.
- Cigar connoisseur ‘Patrick S’ writes in Stogieguys.com: “I can see why this might be billed as a ‘Cigar Malt’ as it does indeed pair well with a fine cigar. It also features more flavours (wood, earth, pepper, chocolate, toffee, etc…) in common with cigars than any whisky I’ve ever tasted.
- And it pairs with a wide range of cigars, from oily maduros to spicy Nicaraguans to subtle Cameroon-wrapped Dominicans”. Another cigar aficionado, ‘Denis’, author of the blog Cigarinspector.com, agrees: “An Oliva Serie G Maduro goes well with the malt owing to its rich, dark chocolate flavour and aroma which so nicely complement the whisky.
- Other notes include coffee and toasted nuts. With a Nicaraguan filler and a Cameroon wrapper, this cigar has a medium-full body, but the spiciness of the Dalmore helps it to assert itself. “And if you have access to Cuban cigars, treat yourself to a Montecristo Edmundo. Alone, this cigar slightly lacks evolution in my opinion and the Dalmore gives it a good boost in this department”.
- Well, here in the U.K. we do have access to Cuban cigars. Pour yourself a large dram of Dalmore 25 years old and “Pass the Partagas”
- Bright amber with burnished copper lights. A reserved nose to start, but complex: tobacco, hard toffee, dry fruitcake. Opens to more tobacco, fruit pastilles and a hint of chocolate. A rich and unctuous texture and a densely sweet taste, drying , with traces of treacle toffee, dark chocolate and tobacco. More fruity with water.